homestead - [Homestead] Check out the neighbors!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Check out the neighbors!
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 07:02:34 -0500

The biggest mistake people make when choosing a place to buy is not carefully checking out local attitudes on religion, politics, cronyism, etc. Here is yet one more example:

Dear Gene,

I moved to the Berryville, AR area six years ago. I read your book and did my homework. I own a lovely 16 acre property with an 1870 home, barn plus many pastures, ponds, outbuildings. You name it, I have it!
However, I inherited a "crazy" neighbor from whom I bought the property. He has vandalized and sneaks into my home weekly. (It was his home, his turf.) Locks do not stop this guy. No report w. the sheriff or anyone else ever is processed. Ex deputies tell me he drinks coffee w. the sheriff. From what I have learned from the natives; he is a barn-burner, grudge-holder, sexist abuser who is from one of the most troubled families in Carroll Cty. He lives on an contiguous piece of property and built his new home so he overlooks this place. I remember your book mentioning problems w. the locals: the Eminence, MO family who moved away. In a nutshell, I must move on. It turns out this guy is a "stalker" and watches me constantly. I'm single and use to run around in the buff. I have seen him so it's obvious who is doing all these petty crimes. His son also is "in" on it: paw is near 70, sonny, 45.
However, I'm a writer and realize, aside from this awful experience, I am to live elsewhere. The cosmos is screaming. However, now that I'm savvy on neighbors and the preponderance of these kinds of people, what can I do to insure this never happens again? I thought maybe you address this more in your newer edition if there is one. Also where do I move is my own question? I find the Bible Belt stiffling even though I grew up in MO. It just screams, "these folks are not your clan".
Thanks,