homestead - [Homestead] Consumerism

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Consumerism
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 12:09:30 EDT

> I would submit that it's not consumerism, exactly, but greed. The desire
> to have more than we need... much more, and making sure that everyone can
> see
> us having more.

There are two definitions of 'consumerism' I find in common use:

1) Protecting the consumer by enforcing product safety and honest packaging
and labeling.

2) The greatest good in life is how much and how many material goods you can
use up or claim possession to.

It is the second to which I refer. As such it is the same as your defintion
of wanting to use and possess more than we need. I might wax affective and
say 'more than will make us happy'. Consumerism is very closely akin to
materialism.

We got by very fine for centuries living within walking distance of where we
worked and shopped, or at least a short vehicular ride. Now people feel as
if
they "need" to live sixty miles away. A family of four thought themselves
well heeled if they lived in a 1100 sq ft house; now people feel slighted or
cheated if they don't have a 3000 sq ft house. Etc.

How much do we need? How much does it take to make us happy? We are sucking
down 42% of the world's oil production on a daily basis and I don't reckon
people happier than their forebearers nor happier than the less consuming
people
around the world.

Consumerism is a deadly game where the sky's the limit. Consumers are
convinced that the reason they are discontent is that they aren't consuming
enough.
More leads to more leads to more. I suspect we are very near the top of the
consumerist Tower of Babel.