homestead - Re: [Homestead] Consumerism

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Consumerism
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 09:00:30 -0500

Consumerism is a deadly game where the sky's the limit. Consumers are
convinced that the reason they are discontent is that they aren't consuming enough.

Or that they don't have enough. Is my pile taller than yours? Emerson said that comparison is fatal. I agree. Madison Avenue is peopled by highly motivated and very clever advertising and marketing mavens. The common people are no match. Of course we homesteaders are a loftier lot.

From whence the motivation to show people how the simple life can be richer? I fantasize about writing a book titled Living Large on Little but believe the market would not pay me back for the time invested.

Each of us is on a unique, personal journey. All of us are subject to self-doubts. Most of us are susceptible to the messages of those who purport to sell happiness.