homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crichton's latest book

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crichton's latest book
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:06:10 -0600

<<He writes in the front of the book that he isn't pushing his own theories
and then he proceeds to push his theories. He's made speeches in front of
Congress and written half a dozen articles about global warming. It all
kind of boils down to "Aliens Cause Global Warming." (one of his papers) He

thinks and talks about all the science involved is all "touched" before it
gets out (bent to say what he thinks other people want it to say).>>

I take your point.

Interesting isn't it that belief (or not) in global warming has reached an
almost religious fervor.

I'll say this about the subject: Midwestern US weather has definitely
changed. OTOH, we're reaching the end of a period of very predictable and
stable weather patterns, and most living Midwestern farmers don't remember
anything else. My father, who died a couple of years ago in his 90s,
reported a year without a summer sometime in the late 1930s or early 40s
when it was warm enough for the corn to come up but he was cultivating it in
July while wearing a heavy jacket and a hat with ear flaps. And of course
there were the dust storms in the 1930s.

Marie

PS: The melting of the polar icecaps is going to affect civilization as we
know it, so whether we call it global warming or something else, it's going
to be something to deal with. Just for example, all that cold water hitting
the Gulf Stream is bound to make the British Isles a lot more chilly, maybe
enough to give them another Little Ice Age.