homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:02:37 -0700

You say you have fir, would that be Doug Fir or Red Fir? How high up? What is the annual rainfall?

And, there are several "bibles" for plants in CA. I generally go to some folks who have nurseries.

Can you open .xls files? If you can, I have a legumes database.

Ya know, you don't get much drier than we are up here. Humidity is non-existant. It is HOT (averaging 90 to 100 plus during the summer) and then snow for the winter. We have Doug Fir, Ponderosa Pine, several types of oaks, manzanita, deer brush, madrone, lilacs and tons of annuals and perrenials.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

While my pasta water was boiling for lunch, I went to the bible, the
Jepsen Manual of Higher Plants of California. It has nearly any Oregon
species that would be found here (I can't name any counterexamples). Of
the many species of Trifolium, the vast majority are annuals, and of the
perennials, fully 4/5 are alpine, including T. macrocephalum, which
starts at 650 m. elevation. You see, this just reflects the fact that
our dry West is not exactly the crucible of evolution for perennial
clovers, as predicted.