homestead - Re: [Homestead] How will globalism end and when

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How will globalism end and when
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:44:56 -0500

At 9/27/2005, you wrote:
There are some worried Nellies that say Peak Oil will
get prices so high that it will cause a mass exodus
from the cities, just like Katrina did, with similar
problems: looters, people begging for food and
shelter, etc...

Many of those who panicked and ran unto the interstate had the city mindset. One city was about to be bad so run to the nearest city that might not be as bad over city based arteries. Another mindset was that someone in authority said go so someone in authority must be responsible to see that everything was ok.

All of this makes local markets and local communities
really important because they can help each other
without spending too much on transportation. Help each
other on protection from looters,

I have been reading that one of the causes of the mass traffic jam up is that many communities along the side roads blocked roads in fear of looters.

I think that mass exodus and the resulting clogged roadways contains many lessons but I am afraid that every group will take a different lesson and none will be entirely correct. In the end I think we will have learned much but will misapply that knowledge. We always seem to be fighting the last war.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=37.983579&longitude=-89.232291