homestead - [Homestead] How will globalism end and when

  • From: Juliana Dutra <kila01 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] How will globalism end and when
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

The good news is that:
> we
>homesteaders are on the right path: Produce your own
>food, heat your house with your own wood, sell food
at
>local markets... When/if gas gets to $10/ gallon no
>one in the East Coast will be able to afford
>California dairy or produce, let alone imported
>foodstuffs. So they will line up at the local market
>to buy OUR food!

The bad news is that that, depending on how bad the
prices get, it may get really expensive to live in the
big cities - which depend on transportation for
EVERYTHING since they don't produce any of their food,
clothes, etc... and get everything delivered to them
for peanuts now.

Why this is bad news ? Because it will make the price
of homestead land rise a lot and bring a lot of
unprepared people to the homestead market....

There are some worried Nellies that say Peak Oil will
get prices so high that it will cause a mass exodus
from the cities, just like Katrina did, with similar
problems: looters, people begging for food and
shelter, etc...

All of this makes local markets and local communities
really important because they can help each other
without spending too much on transportation. Help each
other on protection from looters, on completing each
other's pantry, etc.. I give you milk you give me corn
to feed my animals... We both share the electricity
from a wind turbine and we both join the neighborhood
watch for crime prevention.