homestead - Re: [Homestead] Using bad numbers to sell SS privatization

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Using bad numbers to sell SS privatization
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:17:45 -0700

At 10:09 PM 3/24/05 EST, you wrote:
Between now
>and then we will be going from 3.3 workers paying into the system for each
>person drawing benefits to 2 workers paying into the system for each person
>drawing benefits.

Oh wow! I hadn't ever factored in the problem that people aren't having as
many children as they used to.

It is the baby boomers that are paying into Social Security right now, but
in the next 10-20 years it is going to be they who are receiving, and the
amount paying into the system will be less than ever.

At some point we will get down to the generations where there are only 1-2
children per household paying for a whole lot of recipients of Medicaid (ie
the baby boomer generation). The burden on them will be great, won't it?
More than it is for us right now.

Hum...lots to factor in.

Best wishes,
Melody
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
--Lazarus Long