homestead - Re: [Homestead] Using bad numbers to sell SS privatization

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Using bad numbers to sell SS privatization
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:24:44 -0700

At 08:36 AM 3/24/05 -0700, you wrote:
>If you are in a hurry, just read the last graph.
<snip>
>Fortunately, the unpoliticized numbers in yesterday's report are not overly
>dire. Using a 75-year time horizon, the trustees project that the system
>will be able to pay full benefits until 2041, at which time it will be able
>to pay 74 percent of the promised benefits, falling to 68 percent by 2079.
>That works out to a gap of $4 trillion, which could be bridged with modest
>tax increases and benefit cuts, phased in over the next few decades. If
>people try to tell you different, they need to be set straight.

I wonder if they are factoring in inflation and rising cost of living? Or
do they mean that the poor schmucks in 2079 will be living on 68% of what a
recipient now receives?

Best wishes,
Melody

a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
--Lazarus Long