homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:25:07 -0700

Thanks for the encouragement, but below are are the paragraphs that made me
wonder if I am adding too much of this, or not enough of that, and the
article stated that well-meaning gardeners might screw up more than they
are helping.

As a disclaimer: I am a perfectionist. I have to actively combat the idea
that if I can't do something perfectly I shouldn't do it at all; you know,
don't do a half-*#@ed job. So, I am trying to break out of that and just
do the best with what I know and pray it turns out for the best. :-)
Articles like this, while very instructional and wonderful, just make me
doubt myself all over again--and press me to learn more and try harder.

Below are the points I mentioned:
At 08:02 AM 3/3/05 -0700, you wrote:
>The Push Is on for Good Clean Dirt
>By ANNE RAVER
>

>Professional analysis can also reveal problems with nutrients in soil,
>nutrients that, even if they are present, may be unavailable to plants for
>any number of reasons, from a lack of oxygen to an excess of nitrogen.
>Excess calcium, for instance, can inhibit the uptake of magnesium, boron
>and potassium, elements all crucial to plant growth.
<snip>