homestead - RE: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:22:53 -0500

We've managed to make some decent soil out of our grey clay. So good that
you can dig fishing worms most anywhere you want in the yard. Unfortunately
this has attracted moles. Lots of them. Our cats can't keep up and we don't
have a Jack Russell Terrier.

I don't mind them in the "natural areas" around the house, because they seem
to keep the soil aerated and soft.

However, we have about 800 sqft of "lawn" and the moles are destroying it,
too. I've always been told that to get rid of the moles you have to get rid
of the food, but I really don't want to poison everything. Does anyone have
a good solution that works?