homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:55:25 -0700

Originally 'orgainic' meant not bringing anything from outside the farm rather than a list of things that could be brought in.

The guy I used to buy my popcorn from has told me that is his definition of biodynamic. Nothing imported. He raises cattle and many different crops and has an essentially closed loop except for the sun and rain coming in and the popcorn and beef going out.

Shame on me, I wrote in a hurry and shortchanged you sweet people. I should have said that the closed loop is PART of the biodynamic definition. Biodynamic is organic gardening/farming raised to a whole different level. Practitioners make exotic teas and composts, plant by the moon and much more. Some people I have known take it to a spiritual level. Such people are followers of Rudolf Steiner, the guy who created Waldorf schooling, the forerunner of what today are called Montessori schools, not to mention anthroposophy.