homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden soil: it's much more than dirt
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:51:40 -0700

I am worried I will make
situations worse. Are there any soil chemistry type books available that
you all have read? It is a subject I would love to learn more about.

Lots of books; do an Amazon search. Reading is good, experience is better.

The type of gardening we talk about here is unlikely to harm your soil or plants. The simple secret is to incorporate as much and as many different organic materials on and into the soil as you can. Just as a high organic content can extend the pH tolerance range of plants, so, too, it balances other soil imbalances. Think of soil as a vibrant, living community of microscopic soil engineers, that are constantly working in a symbiotic relationship with plants. Feed the microorganisms and they will feed and care for your plants.