homestead - Re: [Homestead] Air quality map

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nels.tomlinson AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Air quality map
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:59:27 -0900

I looked up my borough using scorecard, and I'm not much impressed
with their accuracy.
(click here:
http://www.scorecard.org/community/index.tcl?zip_code=99801&set_community_zipcode_cookie_p=t&x=0&y=0
)

They said that Juneau, Alaska is in the worst 10% of the counties in
the U.S. Their justification seems to be the Greens Creek mine, which
is about 20 miles away, on an island. It does, technically,
``release'' some ``pollutants'', but they are the tailings pile, and
cannot affect our ground water or anything else, since they are on a
different watershed, on a different landmass, separated by miles of
ocean. Furthermore, their tailings pile is pretty well contained: I
gather that they are thinking about doing some sort of chemical
leaching eventually, and have designed to contain the chemicals so
they can recover the vauable minerals they leach out.

Our air pollution comes from wood stoves, and is only noticable on
those rare, cold, still days. The Valley (the only place where that's
a potential problem) has a permanent ban on winter use of wood stoves,
so we haven't any real air pollution problem, except for the
cruiseships downtown.

We have clean air, clean water (fresh and salt), whales, trees, pretty
much everything but sun and warm weather, but you'd never guess it
from their silly review.

I can see how scorecard might be useful as a starting point for
research, but I wouldn't base any decisions on their information
alone!

Nels