homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning thought

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning thought
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:06:47 -0700

> If investing in stocks and bonds is superior to the present system, why
> doesn't the government simply invest our Social Security funds there?

For one simple reason, it's against the law.

Yes, we know, but Bush wants to change the SS laws, so why not allow the SS administrators to invest the funds? The only logical objection is that investing in the market is not safe.

They cannot themselves invest it in private stocks and bonds because of the very real danger of conflict of interest.

Blind investment accounts, as for high-ranking politicians and certain government employees.

Congress has the power to call off the whole scheme any
time it sees fit.

And be lynched.