homestead - [Homestead] Stairs solution, was Re: Taking stupid and unnecessary risks

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Stairs solution, was Re: Taking stupid and unnecessary risks
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:02:49 -0700

Rat heaver? Is that something like a punkin chucker? :)

He's being normally aberrational. At CRAPPCO they use a portable crane to hoist him back up after the regularly predictable splats. Sometimes the old hydraulic pumps jerk and toss him a ways. But it gets him out of the upchuck pond, thereby saving him to get back to guzzling the vile stuff.

Back to the stairway safety issue. I am thinking that is answered with a steel spiral stair with easily grasped pipe handrail on each side, the tread so narrow that you can't fall down more than a step or two before you stop. I recently used one to get up to a viewing deck over a patio roof. With my sciatica leg I wasn't sure if I could make it, but the dual handrails allowed me to use arms and shoulders as much as legs. Was almost too narrow, but sure felt safe. Could use one as a structural component in the middle of the house, like some use a central fireplace, to support the interior ends of roof beams. Maybe a short catwalk over to the loft. Would not work for hoisting furniture; that would have to go up in pieces.