homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:53:37 -0700

IPM is the method used in Vietnam and now in China. Here's a link about
Vietnam: http://www.medicusmundi.ch/bulletin/bulletin7804.htm

Lest the success of that program be overestimated, here is the definitive statement from the article:

"Malaria control efforts were intensified in 1991 and have achieved a reduction in the number of deaths, severe cases of malaria and malaria illness but failed to control transmission on a large scale."

This is the last paragraph:

"Experiences over the last nine years have highlighted a number of interventions that have contributed to the reduction of malaria in the country. While Vietnamese achievements in malaria control are promising, setbacks have not been uncommon. Through trial and error lessons have been learned that can pave the way for sustained future success."

Information obtained from the National Malaria Control Programme, Viet Nam. First published in: RBM, Potential for Progress, April 2000