homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?

  • From: C Russell <mtbetter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:37:47 -0800 (PST)

Gene wonders:

But--somebody give me a reality check,
> please--I find myself
> wondering if such human catastrophes are not simply
> Nature protecting
> herself, a way that Gaia is creating a balance from
> the increasing
> destructiveness of its dominant species. I feel
> pretty certain that human
> overpopulation is the biggest threat to our
> planetary home. Yet, not one of
> us could look a sick child in the face and not want
> to help in any way
> possible. But looking at the big picture, consider
> the outcome if all lives
> were saved. Am I losing my humanity?

Maybe, Gene. That's some more scary line of thought
if it's carried out. I don't like to think about Gaia
knocking us off any more than I like to think about
one or another supreme being doing so. When I was
growing up, I heard adults explain why we should not
help the poor--God is trying to speak to them and the
only way He can get their attention is by causing them
suffering. If we intervene, we're interfering with
the Divine Plan.

Two thousand years ago, apparently it was the common
opinion of temple-going Jews that towers fall on
wicked people. If Gaia's going to create a balance,
I'd hope she'd choose to torture and wipe out the
guilty rather than the poor and powerless.

Cathy