homestead - RE: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Rethinking DDT--or should we?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:10:32 -0600

<<In a country such as the US, who does not -to the best of my knowledge-
have to worry about malaria, I think DDT would not be a good choice. We do
have West Nile Virus here, but I think DDT would be bringing out an
elephant gun to kill...well, a mosquito.>>

Until WW II during which DDT became available, malaria was endemic in
southeastern US. Does anyone know why a few years of spraying houses in
endemic areas with DDT wiped the disease out? We still have lots of marshes
(and plenty of mosquitoes).

<<But in other countries that have trouble with malaria where thousands die
because of bites by infected mosquitoes, of course DDT would be a wise
solution. If they don't use it, many are going to die. If they do use it,
it may cause *possible* birth defects and premature births. >>

Many do die -- some million to million and a half people a year (and 10s of
millions suffer from the disease). I don't imagine, however, that spraying
the tropics with DDT would wipe malaria out as quickly as it was wiped out
in the US.

I still wonder what the Vietnamese did.

Marie