homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nothin' like the local- was, Stone Brewing

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nothin' like the local- was, Stone Brewing
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:19:41 -0800

At 1/5/2005, you wrote:
Nothin' like the local! I'm pleased to find one of the best wineries around
is just about 15 miles away. An old couple turning over the vines they
planted to a young couple. Their admirable plan is to keep it small and keep
it all, hire only one person for occasional help, and sell it all direct.
Closest breweries are an hour away in Ashland- Caldera which does a keg only
business, Standing Stone which has a brewpub and does kegs.

We have several local breweries. Stone is moving out of the Micro Brew category because they make a quality product. Oggie's is a Pizza place with a good selection of brews. They had big expansion plans and closed down some of the brew pubs but I see they are opening up some again. The brew master from Oggies left and formed Green Flash, they have a great California Ale. Karl Srous has been in business brewing long before the current popularity and they make a Red Trolley Ale that is very good. The Red Trolley goes from downtown San Diego to the border. There are others around.

When I visit gene I will have some Stone AB and Pale Ale and Red Trolley Ale. I will be coming back to pick up some stuff and at that time will pick up some Oggies for my son. Gene will also get to try some of that if his palate is not totally destroyed by that potato poteen he brews in the old septic tank out back.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com