homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nothin' like the local- was, Stone Brewing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nothin' like the local- was, Stone Brewing
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:42:16 -0700

I aim to put a keg in the creek this winter.
Ted

Check the temperature often. Unlike wine, which will keep well at merely cool temperatures, beer will go bad unless it is kept cold. Especially a 15.5 gallon keg. My tapper temperature currently is 26 degrees at the bottom and 33 degrees at the top of the keg. Much colder than I prefer to drink it, so I fill a glass and let it warm before drinking. Beer has a relatively short shelf life and kegs typically last awhile. Here in the city I don't drink as much as when I am at home doing hard physical work, so the last keg lasted two months. Toward the end I found myself having morning diarrhea. At first I decided it was some moldy blueberries I ate--I saw the mold in the box after I had swallowed. As the condition persisted for several days, I suspected the beer. When the keg went dry and I took everything apart for cleaning I found lots of seriously nasty stuff inside the tap. After getting the new keg tapped with all clean equipment, all is well. Back home I used to keep a champagne plastic "cork" on the end of the tap to keep it protected from room air and bugs. Here, I think I will untap the keg and clean the tap every couple of weeks. Well, at least when I find negative morning symptoms recurring.