homestead - Re: [Homestead] Personal Account disinformation

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Personal Account disinformation
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:48:27 -0700

I have yet to see the Bush proposal. If you have knowledge of where one can read it, please post the url.

tvoivozhd---here are a few.

I have read many similar articles. At none of those urls is enumerated a proposal by the White House; they are mostly reactions of various people to campaign statements made by Bush, dating back to when he was still a governor. This comes from the third url you offered, dated last month:

"The administration hasn't settled on any particular Social Security reform plan," Joshua B. Bolten, the director of the White House's Office of Management and Budget, said in an e-mail message in response to questions about overhauling the system.

Social Security reform has been talked about for decades. Since he first ran for president, Bush has lobbed many S.S. reform shots across the bow of the U.S.S. Fear and has had the benefit of thousands of reactions ranging from obeisance to outrage by columnists, pundits, think tanks and political operatives. There have also been thoughtful reactions by interest groups, most appropriately perhaps by AARP, whose constituency largely depends on S.S. and which is still smarting from the negative reaction of its members to endorsement of the Medicare bill just passed.

There have been lots of generalities. But I have yet to see a specific proposal that can be addressed and evaluated. As usual, the devil is in the details. And we do not yet have details.