homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:16:39 -0500

Melody -- my advice would be to never have a PET goat, and certainly never
attempt to have an intact billy PET goat. Goats have to be goats and that
includes butting, peeing on themselves, and other rather goat things. I
know this advice comes a bit late for you. Goat babies are so cute and
personable. And it is hard to believe when they are sooooo little that they
will get so big.

I don't have much advice on "training". I would never allow the goat to do
those things to a person, period. Certainly his people need to not play in
these ways with him. He needs to figure out he is a goat and you are people
which may mean separating him from you although goats are hard to fence if
they don't want to stay in. Get him another goat to play with.

We have the same sort of policy toward roosters -- any who show any
aggression at all to humans get eaten NOW not later.

That's my .02 for now.

Denise