homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:02:40 -0500

We were feeding hay to our mixed multitudes (goats, horses, cattle). One of
our female goats reared up on her hind legs, twitched her tail and rammed a
500 pound steer with her hard head, hitting him right between the eyes. I
didn't know it was possible for a steer to fall straight down, with all 4
legs going out from under him as he landed on his stomach. We thought he
was dead. He lay there with glazed eyes for about 15 minutes before he
rolled onto his side, staggered to his feet and tottered away from the
goat. She, the goat, was munching away on hay like nothing had happened.

A person receiving the same treatment would probably have been dead, or
have a fractured skull at least. What is cute behavior when they are young
becomes dangerous as they mature. Don't let this buck near your children.
Lynn