homestead - [Homestead] Am I just the last to know about this.. or

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Am I just the last to know about this.. or
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:34:31 -0600

do Americans not feel that prior restraint in publishing is no longer a big
deal?

If this wasn't an article published in a paper in a major city, I'd think it
was satire:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002112639_diss08.html

(http://tinyurl.com/6593n)

The main point of the story is in the fourth paragraph:

"In an apparent reversal of decades of U.S. practice, recent federal Office
of Foreign Assets Control regulations bar American companies from publishing
works by dissident writers in countries under sanction unless they first
obtain U.S. government approval."

Is this a homesteading issue. I believe it is. How long before a government
that doesn't tolerate dissent decides to put down the hammer on people who
make their own cheese at home?

Marie, trying to figure out the government's rationale (but maybe an
analysis can't rely on reason in our increasingly reality-challenged culture