homestead - Re: [Homestead] Social Security 2005

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Social Security 2005
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:59:38 -0800

> This is on the other side of the question:
>
> OP-ED COLUMNIST
>
> Real Reform for Social Security
>
> By DAVID BROOKS
>
> Published: December 11, 2004
>
> Before we get lost in the policy details, let's be clear about what this
> Social Security reform debate is really about. It's about the market.

Wrong. It's another way to victimize people :

The millions of old people *on* Social Security -
and I am speaking from personal experience,
*as well as *age**, that are depending on that
check for today's bread and tonight's heating.

It's those millions who *have* paid into it.

And are not *able* to start *now* to learn
about 'investing' - they *had* nothing to
'invest' and don't *now* - they are *existing*
on it because lemme tellya this ain't *livin'*.

It's the millions of *old* low-income people who
were too busy with back-breaking labor - whether
"in the home" or out of it - to learn *how* to
"research" corporations' "fitness".

It's the millions of low-income people *now* who
are *still* working two and three jobs so they can
eat - and feed their kids - who are paying into it,
who have nothing left over to 'invest' in anything
that has the *real* probability, *not* "possibility"
of loss.

It's these people who are going to be shafted
by "reform" - and the "reform" *is* going to be
decided by those who don't give a goodgawdam
about who is cleaning their bathrooms and
weeding their landscape and voted for by the
sheeple - 'those who have eyes and cannot see'
and 'those who have ears and cannot hear'.
And some of them are on this list.