homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question for Clanskeen

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question for Clanskeen
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:04:15 -0800

Just to use myself as a small example of how the needs of all the parties involved will always intersect in the highest possible cost, I was scheduled for nasal polyp surgery last winter. I had started going to the doctor in October. She gave me some free samples of antibiotics, the most expensive known to man, and wanted me to stay on them for the duration, until the surgery was over. Or at least those were the needs of her malpractice insurer, because sure enough, people with my condition are statistically prone to nasal infections. My needs were to have the surgery delayed until January, when there would be someone here to take care of me. So to meet all our "needs" I would have to be on the world's most expensive antibiotic for 3 months. I told her I wasn't going to take those things for 3 months, and I eventually cancelled on the surgery (she was half a day late for my appointments on at least two occasions), and I don't feel any worse off a year later au naturel.

Bill

WF Smith wrote:

I am going to excuse myself from this discussion and do a little reading. On
the face of it socialized medicine does not look viable at this time without
a LOT of controls. Personally, I am in agreement with you in that "promoting
the general welfare" has nothing to do with paying doctor's bills.