homestead - RE: [Homestead] Re: Notes From The Farm

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Re: Notes From The Farm
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:10:11 -0600

Lynda queries:

<<Now, just for musings, if it is wiggle that causes the smell, how come
almond is one of those odors/smells that some folks don't smell? Are they
"immune" to wiggle?>>

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the biochemistry of smell in years, but this
conversation has tweaked some dormant brain cells (of which I have plenty).
The theory of smell with which I'm familiar is that noses have molecular
receptors (just as the tongue does for taste). When an airborne molecule
wafts up your nose and hits a receptor, you interpret the hit as odor. Using
this theory, it's easy to understand that a person missing a given receptor
would also miss the smell associated with it.

How are people supposed to detect the wiggle?

Marie