homestead - Re: [Homestead] Making the Irresponsible Pay

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Making the Irresponsible Pay
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:21:11 -0500

James, originally you were talking about denying welfare on the basis of poor lifestyle choices, especially those that cost money (twice).

Don't remember espousing any such view. As a Libertarian my view is that the state should not be in the welfare or the lifestyle business and so any denying is a moot point. My only point here is that at the heart of homesteading is the concept of self-reliance. It's a puzzle that lists and discussions of homesteading attract so many people caught up in a culture of dependency. I am enthusiastic about self-sufficiency and find that any discussion of it on such fora as this inevitably must endure the interference those that crave dependency.

Say, I wonder if private insurers ever insist on any proof that a person is a non-smoker, other than checking the box.

Better than that. If a condition is determined to be smoking induced, the insurer does not have to pay.

James