homestead - Re: [Homestead] small diverse gardens

  • From: Barbara Lamar <blamar AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] small diverse gardens
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:11:09 -0600

Gene GeRue wrote:

Does anyone have a copy of One Straw Revolution? If so, please look this up. (I loaned my copy to a grateful but dastardly young man who has added my book to his library.) My memory is that the mud balls only had one or three seeds in them. I can't imagine a ball with hundreds of seeds in them.

Your memory is accurate, Gene. pp 43-44 (ONE STRAW REVOLUTION,1978 edition): "If rice is sown in the autumn and left uncovered, the seeds are often eaten by mice and birds, or they sometimes rot on the ground, and so I enclose the rice seeds in little clay pellets before sowing."

Barbara