homestead - Re: [Homestead] small diverse gardens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] small diverse gardens
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:05:11 -0700

Your memory is accurate, Gene. pp 43-44 (ONE STRAW REVOLUTION,1978 edition): "If rice is sown in the autumn and left uncovered, the seeds are often eaten by mice and birds, or they sometimes rot on the ground, and so I enclose the rice seeds in little clay pellets before sowing."

Thank you, Barbara. Of course, that Fukuoka quote does not say how many seeds are in each pellet. Given the, um, truth-seeking nature of this list, there may be some who will want to give this more light.

I have thought about you from time to time, typically when something pops up about your part of Texas, and wondered how your owner-built homestead was faring. It's good to have you back and posting. How's the water level in the pond? How's your daughter? How does your garden grow? There are those here now unaware that self-reliant women still build their own abodes, gardens, garden structures and anything else needed. Toni will likely be happy to receive this confirmation that women don't need men cluttering the homestead.