homestead - Re: [Homestead] ... books ...

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ... books ...
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:08:52 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Lynda<mailto:lurine AT softcom.net>

> We built our own library in the county I used to live in.

One of my favorite books, ".And Ladies of the Club" is based on 'getting
literary and staying that way' - from donated books and repaired 'free'
space, to eventually having the county support a library. The book follows
the lives of two young women who are graduating that day (in 1868) throughout
their lives, along with a couple dozen others who make up the "Club". I
didn't realize until the second or third reading (great story !!) that the
author could have gone on for several hundred more pages but stopped with
grandchildren when the original protagonists (who were the youngest in the
"Club") had both grown old, died, and been buried.