homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fine book by Richard Dawkins, University ofOxford biologist

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fine book by Richard Dawkins, University ofOxford biologist
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:11:54 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:39:30 -0800, "Toni Hawryluk" wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From:
> sanrico AT highdesert.com<mailto:sanrico AT highdesert.com>
> > we had to recite went "...always was and always will be..."
>
> "...always ..." in human terms what 'humans' understand,
> but then some 'understand' more than others - education/
> environment/evolution in action ?

In my case, age 8-9-10, 'education' hadn't happened yet. Environment? Devout
Catholic mother - math-and-science minded, non-practicing Mormon father with
extraordinary musical and literary gifts. The 'why' and the 'how' of things
were
the subjects of our discussions (my dad and me). He never belittled the
church,
but it became evident to me early on that blind faith would only take me
stumbling through life where I should instead be poking and prodding and
questioning and testing. And he introduced me to Darwin early on - fascinating
stuff even then! He would have been greatly entertained by Muldar and
Scully...and Nova. Gee, I miss him.

Sandy