homestead - Re: [Homestead] The security illusion

  • From: RayZentz AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The security illusion
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:55:42 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2004 9:02:22 AM Central Standard Time,
tvoivozd AT infionline.net writes:

Total security does not exist at the personal or family level---

Every facet of life is a risk, and we are all gamblers, to some degree or
another. Some of these may be obvious, but it never hurts to be reminded
at
how little control we really have.
When you buy life insurance, you are betting the insurance company that
you will die before they think you will..
Every time you drive in your car, you are trusting others to obey the
laws that keep you safe. If you don't obey the laws, why do you think
others
will?
When you eat anything not made by yourself, in toto, you are trusting
the competence and good faith of a total stranger.
Even breathing involves risk... pollutants, toxins, germs, etc. If you
feel the risk is to great, you are free to stop breathing...

Tvo is absolutely right. Security does not exist. We juggle and balance
risks, finally choosing in favor of the risks that pose less of a threat, at
least as we percieve them. Life will always be this way. It was designed
to be so.

Ray