homestead - [Homestead] The security illusion

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The security illusion
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:01:47 -0500

Total security does not exist at the personal or family level---against genetic defects, against invisible toxins circulating in the air, depositing in soil, water and food, or against drastic change of climatic or economic conditions . Total security does not exist at the National level, either---it is limited by the ability of variable gross national product to sustain expenditures for military force, and at some point national control by the military inevitably replaces civilian control of the military---if military disorganization and loss of discipline does not occur first. Seems that there are a lot of checks and balances built into evolution---better described in history books than in conflicting visions of the future.

A succinct Chinese Proverb illustrates what might be described as "The Uncertainty Principle" as relates to the quest for security paradox. "Said Gold, "I'll buy everything." "Said the Sword, "I will take everything, including Gold"