homestead - Re: [Homestead] *let ...* ?? *&^%$%

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] *let ...* ?? *&^%$%
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:08:27 -0700

> It is only fair to recognize that it is girls who "let" boys be boys.

Say *WHAT !!!??*

Except in the case of rape, how is it otherwise?

*Girls* are to blame for 'boys being boys' ?

Blame is not an issue with me. Girls and boys both have hormonal urges at certain ages and they act upon them.

Peers snigger, fathers encourage, religious tolerate
'boys being boys",

Not where I grew up.

- - - but it's the girls' who are at fault even
though they have hormones, too ?

Fault for what? Being human? Sex is arguably our strongest instinct after survival. How we deal with it depends on our values, most of which are instilled by parents.

Gene, I am very sad to say I am rethinking the
high opinion I had formed of you ...

I try to be honest. How others perceive me is their decision.

My sexual sociology education was updated a couple years ago during the time I helped a young Scottsdale man buy his first house. Dan took the experience very seriously and we looked at a lot of homes before he chose one, then the seller and he couldn't get together on price and then another one like that, until we finally found yet another one and made a deal and it closed. So we spent lots of time together and among the many subjects we discussed--sort of grandfather and grandson--were the sexual activities and attitudes of young men and women today. Dan told me that many of the young women he and his friends knew were sexual predators in the sense that the girls and their friends bragged about how many boys they had seduced. I said, gee, a young man's dream come true. No, he said, it gets really old after awhile; all they want to do is have sex. This was quite an education for me. I can only presume that this new sexual attitude is not confined to Scottsdale and Phoenix. I also presume that not all young women today act thusly, as, indeed, all did not act alike when I was growing up. It seems each high school has some girls who become known as "fast."

I don't watch much mainstream television but I have read that the TV program Sex and the City has made an impact on the thinking of young women today, that it has glamorized the concept of young women as sexually aggressive. Only change is constant, and I am not surprised that sexual mores are not the same as when I was a youngster. Today's young people have the same hormonal urges as their parents did. They have birth control pills, which my generation did not. And they have AIDS to consider. I'm glad that Chris and I and our children are all beyond the exploratory part of our lives. Now we can worry about the grandchildren.