homestead - Re: [Homestead] Microlivestock

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Microlivestock
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:10:34 -0500

C Russell wrote:

Thanks tvo. This info plus the chess quote have
cheered up my morning and set my sights on the future,
which may or may not include quail. Town living will
probably be my lot.

cathy

--- tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net> wrote:

\Quail occupy little space. Friend of mine in
Orange, Texas who who was ..

tvoivozhd---if you are going back to town--as I would have to do were it not for my daughter, and you are still moderately mobile, there are quite a few microlivestock and garden options, ranging from fishbarrels in the basement to yard-gardens to container-gardens and pigeon coops on the roof--for which purpose look for a flat-roof upstairs apartment. Stack containers at each end of roof-joists to take the load better. Pigeon coops on the roof are common all over the world---primarily because pigeons forage in streets and fieods, so you have to provide them very little food., and squabs are a good source of protein in your meals. I favor quail because they lay a lot of easy-to-pickle eggs, and there are so many bartenders who will buy them or their customers'

.