homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable shop was: My shop - again

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable shop was: My shop - again
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 06:57:03 -0800

At 11/20/2004, you wrote:
Don, or someone, please explain what a cross box is and what a cruise box is.
Thanks,
Lynn

A cross box is the box that fits across the bed of a pickup. Usually right behind the cab. Some have a single lid all across the top and some have a lid at both ends as mine does. It is a big one I recently picked up from someone who no longer has a pickup. It will fit 6 milk cartons.

A cruise box is also known as a job site box. These are the huge boxes we used to pack stuff into for loading onto the ship before heading out. The box I have is 4 feet long 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall. It came from an alarm installation company that went out of business. It is on wheels that raise it up about 6 inches. I have a 3/8 in. stainless steel cable bolted to the underside that loops through the pickup bed tiedowns under the cross box.Straps keep it tight against the tail gate and the space between the box and cross box is used for storage of things that can get wet.

I will get pictures on my web site this weekend.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com