homestead - [Homestead] WTO rules

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] WTO rules
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:35:16 -0800

I read this last Thurs (11/11/04) and have seen nothing else on it since (but then again I don't read the WSJ). The last sentence in this blurb is the one that could affect all of us to some degree or another.
It's a changing world even if you are miles from town...

Rob
becidawa AT hctc.com

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

>>USA To Appeal World Trade Organization's Internet Gambling Decision
Thu Nov 11 2004 10:00:25 ET

The Bush administration dismissed as 'deeply flawed' a World Trade Organization decision that the US has no right to ban cross-border gambling on the Internet. The WTO ruling, publicly released yesterday, favored Antigua and Barbuda in its fight against the US over a 43-year-old law that bans gambling payments across state lines.

The WALL STREET JOURNAL reported in Thursday editions:

The US immediately said it would appeal the decision, and a senior US trade official said the administration "fundamentally rejects" an assertion within the WTO ruling that countries don't have an explicit right to limit services affecting public morals. US trade officials were "particularly alarmed over parts of the WTO ruling that asserted that member states had to consult with other countries before modifying laws that affect public morals."

Developing...<<