homestead - [Homestead] Proa design, Tyvek sails, hydrofoils, foil-section vs flat plate

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Proa design, Tyvek sails, hydrofoils, foil-section vs flat plate
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:19:02 -0800

I really feel sorry for people, that for various reasons have never lived on a sailboat, gone island-hopping, lived with island tribes. There are advantages and disadvantages of course, in a cruising sailboat you have to have enough room to carry all your provisions, repair parts and materials, workshop with you, which slows you down, but tends to get you back home when things break down. The sea is unforgiving , bad planners and the unlucky suffer at its hands.

But it is a largely tax-free existence, without the tax-paid amenities we take for granted. I used to take along a ten-speed Kawasaki motorcycle to get around on land, a lot of it roadless---found it to be a lot better than walking or paddling a canoe along the shore.

It may have changed, but when I lived in the Bahamas, there were no fees except at a marina for a transient boat, and you could import for permanent use anything that floated (including my floating hex houseboats pulled up in a land excavation) for the sum of $17.50---not bad for a then $28,000 fully-equipped house.

Unfortunately the bigger and more comfortable the boat, the less it is capable of detailed exploration of islands---for that you need a small Proa, and following are a large number of Proa links, Sure, a seagoing kayak will do the job, but there is no charge for the wind driving a lazy-man's tiny sailboat either.

http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/
(Dutch Proa)

http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/page40.html
(tacking, Proa turns into wind, then reverses course, vs. trimaran and single-hulls which turn into wind, around and away on the other tack.)

http://www.wingo.com/proa/links.html
(many outrigger boat designs)

http://www.schachtdesign.com/proafile/
(more on Proa design, rigging---great for shallow waters, drag up on beach instead of anchor. I would prefer (strength permitting) ratcheting the structure supporting outriggers across the hull to provide greater leverage from the leeward side of the boat.)

http://www.proasail.com/
(a Proa that looks nice---doesn't do what I would want)

http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/proas.html
(a lot of good proa information, history here)

http://www.boat-links.com/proapix.html
(lot of good pictures, boat, rigging from 1870 circumnavigation of globe)

http://www.harryproa.com/shuntinganimated.htm
(animated shunting/tacking path)

http://www.warrenmultihulls.com/w-21.htm
(Warren lightweight, cartop portable proa)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/walap.html
(52-footer,with spring planks to allow outrigger to rise, fall with waves at different height than boat)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/
(nunber different sizes, plans available)

http://www.dcss.org/ayrs/14B.html
(dozens of New Zealand plans, photos)

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/terho.halme/cpc/Cruising_proa_concepts.htm
(stability, righting moment, sail area charts)

http://www.flyingproa.com/
(variable geometry experiment, good info, but website partially under reconstruction)

http://www.geocities.com/proaethos/
(Atlantic-type proa with leeward outrigger as opposed to more common Pacific windward outrigger)

http://www.basiliscus.com/ProaSections/ProaIndex.html
(hydrofoil, airfoil data, below-water, surface-piercing hydrofoils)

http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html
(John's---huge number of nautical links)

http://www.boat-links.com/index.html
(see the articles on cheap Tyvek sails and foil-sections vs. flat-plate sections)