homestead - Re: [Homestead] Favorite homemade gifts

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Favorite homemade gifts
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:29:48 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Lisa Perry<mailto:lkvp AT floydva.net> So I
need some new ideas. And I need whatever it may be to be reasonably
lightweight. The last couple years we spent as much on shipping as we did on
the cost of the gift. I thought this year I'd make jam from our own
blueberries and raspberries I picked however, that's another heavy item (and
glass jar) to mail. So I scratched that idea.

Probably too late for this year but you might
consider it for next :

So *much* stuff comes in plastic jars nowadays
that I've saved some of the nicer 'shapes' and
transferred freezer jam to them - there is still the
weight of the food, but the jars/lids are light.
And you can glue a piece of pretty textile to
the lid with a ribbon around the edge, or if the
lid is too shallow, thin sheets of felt can be
folded neatly around the edge and trimmed off
even after the glue dries. The felt makes a better
base for a label/tag on the lid ....