homestead - [Homestead] Re: How To Make A Millions Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Re: How To Make A Millions Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:09:02 -0800

Thanks for all the material on mustard seed. I fear that sources for culinary purposes may have been dried at a high temperature, and may not grow. For instance, coriander seed sprouts, but cardamom doesn't. I may just try to find a plant in the wild.

There is just no doubt that environmentalists are going around and frightening nurseries into dropping plants they've deemed invasive. I've found every one of these species on the dreaded invasive lists, and I've been told by local shop owners that I should not plant Acacia dealbata, and one had the honesty to admit that this was the trend, mainly to avoid flak. It's about the gayest plant you can think of, yet you can't buy one in San Francisco. But you know that someone is growing them for the cut flower market. They're probably thrilled that work parties have been organized to remove this deadly weed in Northern California.

The main tool of this intimidation process is no doubt Clinton's executive order on non-native invasive species. Weed killer companies must be planning on making a bundle off this one, since it's one of the EOs that Bush did not rescind. I don't remember the exact text, but it has something to do with holding entities liable for removal costs.

Red clover and Lotus uliginosus are two other common perennial cover crops that are now extremely hard to find. Virtually all the red clover seed in shops has been replaced by 'Kenland' Red, which is very short-lived; real red clover lives for years. L. uliginosus grows in wet roadside areas for hundreds of miles around here, but when I first tried to acquire it several years ago, I could only order #50 bags from the Netherlands for $800 plus shipping Yet I noticed that when those who can and do needed an aggressive ground cover at a local lake, the place was planted from end to end with L. uliginosus.

I'm really impressed by the infantile logic of it all. "Butterfly bush becomes invasive closer to the coast, therefore it should be banned everywhere." Maybe we should ban matches, since someone *might* do harm with them.

Bill
S. Oregon coast