homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: How To - maybe not ....

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: How To - maybe not ....
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:29:35 -0800

There is just no doubt that environmentalists are going around and
frightening nurseries into dropping plants they've deemed invasive.

Bill, I suggest you read "A Plague of Rats
and Rubber Vines" before you spout off
any more about environmentalists .... not
criticizing - just doesn't sound to me like
you understand *all* the ramifications
of "invasive" plants.

> Acacia dealbata (snip) work parties have been organized to remove this
> deadly weed in Northern
California.

Yes. They have. And I have no doubt that
there's *damn* good reason for it. In California.
Think of English ivy smothering forest trees.
Kudzu climbing telephone poles. Water hyacinths
in Florida hindering navigation ... I would
suppose you're close enough to California to
be 'at risk' .... Here's what I found about
Acacia - but admittedly not dealbata :
(since so many people cannot correctly
identify varieties, better not to sell any)

http://invader.dbs.umt.edu/Noxious_Weeds/state_run.asp?state=California

Results of your query

Acacia
paradoxa<http://invader.dbs.umt.edu/scripts/esrimap.dll?name=Noxious_map&Plant_Name=Acacia+paradoxa&submit1=Submit&Choice=1&CMD=Map>
(kangaroothorn) ........... B............

Noxious weeds in California, where the categories for noxious weeds are as
follows:
A Noxious weed and noxious weed seed: eradication, containment, rejection,
or other holding action at the state-county level. Quarantine interceptions
to be rejected or treated at any point in the state.

B Noxious weed and noxious weed seed: eradication, containment, control or
other holding action at the discretion of the commissioner

C Noxious weed and noxious weed seed: state-endorsed holding action and
eradication only when found in a nursery; action to retard spread outside of
nurseries at the discretion of the commissioner; reject only when found in a
cropseed for planting or at the discretion of the commissioner. Designated
noxious weeds in the CA Code of Regulations.

Q Noxious weed and noxious weed seed: temporary "A" action outside
of nurseries at the state-county level pending determination of a permanent
rating.

> Red clover and Lotus uliginosus are two other common

perennial cover crops

that are now extremely hard to find. Virtually all the red clover seed in
shops has been replaced by 'Kenland' Red, which is very short-lived; real red
clover lives for years.

There are two types of clover - annual and
perennial. If you plant your *real* red clover,
you are planting a perennial that will not
give place **as a cover crop** to whatever
you plant in succession, once it gets a good
hold in your soil. If you indeed want a 'cover
crop' for the purpose of keeping the weeds
down *between crops*, why do you want
a perennial you will have to weed out sooner
or later ? Unless you don't want a 'cover crop'
to keep weeds down ....

> I'm really impressed by the infantile logic of it all. "Butterfly bush
> becomes invasive closer to the coast, therefore it should be banned
> everywhere." Maybe we should ban matches, since someone *might* do harm
> with them. Bill
S. Oregon coast

Another aspect of butterfly bush is that it
seems to be misnamed - it doesn't feed the
larva so there's no point in planting it as a
butterfly attractant since any eggs laid on
it won't survive ... secondly, since it's so
aggressive even on the poorest soil, it's
replacing *real* butterfly larva food. Or
maybe you don't like butterflies ?

As for matches ? Tell that to all the folks
whose homes have been torched by kids
playing with 'em - and the kids that have
died in those fires ... Bad day here today -
I wanted to finish painting outside - but
it's raining. Again.