homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Kathyann Natkie <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:14:16 -0400

Don Bowen wrote:

> At 10/3/2004, you wrote:
> >I don't know if it is possible, Don, but something like a rice cooker or a
> >crockpot could be working on your food while you travel, if it can be
> >secured. Doesn't take much power. They might even run off the cigarette
> >lighter.
>
> That sounds like a good idea. Heating elements take a lot of power but our
> large crockpot only requires 250 watts. Our rice cooker is in storage so
> I could not check it but will do that the next time I am in town.

We have a "coffee maker/baby bottle warmer" that plugs into cigarette
lighter and does well. It could certainly do a single batch of
something. Easily holds a boil-in-bag. It was <$20 in a trucker store.
The one we got has an open chamber with a rack that goes in for a
bottle. Not great for a bottle but easy clean for cooking.

Kathyann