homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:09:42 -0700

At 10/3/2004, you wrote:
I don't know if it is possible, Don, but something like a rice cooker or a crockpot could be working on your food while you travel, if it can be secured. Doesn't take much power. They might even run off the cigarette lighter.

That sounds like a good idea. Heating elements take a lot of power but our large crockpot only requires 250 watts. Our rice cooker is in storage so I could not check it but will do that the next time I am in town.

Power consumed is important. I do not have an inverter installed yet, 1KW modified sine wave units with a battery charger is around $750. Cheap square wave units can be had for under $150 but the square wave units do not let heating elements reach full temperature. 250 Watts at 120 VAC is a little over 2 amps or 20 amps at 12VDC. That can easily be supplied by the tow vehicle (I have an 8 ga wire from the 150 amp alternator to the trailer). If I remember correctly the rice cooker is only on for maybe a half hour so that is only 10 AH from the battery. Good idea, thanks.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com