homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ideology triumphs over security

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ideology triumphs over security
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:51:40 -0700

From: DSanner106 AT aol.com<mailto:DSanner106 AT aol.com>
> There are two nearly unbelievable aspects to this, One being that every
> single arabic translator was gay, and two, that somehow George Bush in his
> first two weeks of office focused his energy into rooting out gay arabic
> translators and is the reason for this. In addition, it would be illegal to
> fire these employees due to sexual orientation and highly
unlikely that such a thing would be done. Where did you read this ??

"Nearly unbelievable" ? oh, ha ha !
The *first* official act of this cretin -
in case you were away on your other
planet - was to advertise to the world
that this __it in the Wh___ House
now held the purse stings and
*government paid* international birth
control/abortion would no longer be
an option open to women.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:32:48 -0700
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 9/28/2004 4:23:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tvoivozd AT infionline.net writes:
>No, it is not illegal to fire gay translators in the
>military or CIA.
>If they are military, they are not fired, they can be discharged. If they
>work for the CIA, they are civilians and cannot be fired for their sexual
>orientation.

tvoivozhd---a distinction without a difference as relates to the
military, and totally untrue as relates to civilians, i.e.gay and
lesbians in the entire federal workforce have had their job protections
officially removed by the Office of Special Counsel. The new Special
Counsel, Scott Bloch, says his interpretation of a 1978 law intended to
protect employees and job applicants from adverse personnel actions is
that gay and lesbian workers are not covered.
Do your homework. The entire federal workforce means the ENTIRE federal
workforce.

This conversation took place between Edwards and a newspaper reporter:

You know, we don’t have enough Arabic language translators in this
country, and a lot of stuff fell through the cracks before 9/11 because
we weren’t interpreting the chatter, it was kind of put aside because we
didn’t have enough Arabic language interpreters. So the president
responds by firing six Arabic language interpreters because they
happened to be gay ... What kind of national security policy is that?”
The man asked Dean if he would sign an executive order removing the ban,
but Dean said that while he would do that, it would do no good since the
order needs to be reversed by Congress.