homestead - [Homestead] GDP statistics, inflation calculator, gasoline has dropped over the years

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] GDP statistics, inflation calculator, gasoline has dropped over the years
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:40:46 -0700

Yes, gasoline has dropped, inflation figured in. Of course the present rise from its dropped price level has the same adverse affect as a sudden tax of the same amount---a severe drag on the economy.

Historical Data

Here are three good sites for historical economic data.

First, is the site What Was the GDP Then? This web site allows you to find out what the GDP (Gross Domestic Product) from 1790 to 2002. It will display the nominal GDP, real GDP,
Population, Nominal GDP per capita, and Real GDP per capita. The U.S. economy has grown a lot since 1950 (tripled in constant dollars per person in the U.S. The population doubled in that same time period). Yes, GDP is a crude measurement but we don't have something better for earlier times.

Second we have an Inflation Calculator which can calculate the value of money in U.S. dollars from 1913 to 2004. For example $20 in 1950 is worth $153 dollars today (based on the Consumer Price Index, not totally accurate but pretty good).

Last we have a this great chart which shows how gasoline costs have been heading down in real dollars over the last 50 years. Yes prices have spiked recently but the overall trend is down, not up. Does that surprise you? I recently talked to one man who claimed a relative in the oil industry was projecting $10 a gallon gas within the next 6 years (2010). Based on the last 50 years, that will only happen if the inflation rate goes way up.