homestead - Re: [Homestead] Is Ivan knocking on your doors?

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Is Ivan knocking on your doors?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:27:47 -0400

SW VA got hit hard in some places. We've been without power at our house since 10:30 a.m. Friday a.m, Ivan arrived much quicker than had been anticipated. Weather forecasts had predicted Saturday to Sunday arrival for our area but the heavy rain arrived yesterday a.m. and we were caught unprepared. WE didn't get the bathtub filled with water before the power went out. Just came into my office in 'downtown' Floyd where there is power to take a shower and run some errands, the last update we had from Am. Elec. Power was we might have power in our section of Floyd County by midnight. We'll see, two other deadlines have come and gone, many fallen trees. Last night the Aladdin lamp worked great but the chimney cracked again--after it had been on for 5 hours. It was room temp. when we lit the thing and we had the flame on very low for the first half-hour to try to prevent cracking yet another expensive chimney. The wind is still really whipping around but no rain at the moment.
Lisa