homestead - Re: [Homestead] CBS recant ... NOT!

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] CBS recant ... NOT!
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:11:53 -0700

> so who gets to make these decisions then, toni? If not our elected
> officials, then who?

Our primary elected official was elected
by the Electoral College, *not* individual
Americans ...
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] 10th tropical storm ....
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:16:09 -0700

> Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps He is paying attention... close
attention, and that we may be getting exactly what we deserve? Hmmm. Ray

Don't include me in that "we" - I didn't vote
for either of the dynasty cubs .... but it's
beginning to sound to me like you approve
of them and their activities.

Toni
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Homestead]..... by 2100
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:18:31 -0700

> 20 years ago, we were all told that smog and emissions were blocking out
> the sunlight and the next ice age was being brought on prematurely.

We were also told that thalidomide was
*good* for pregnant women, too - but
when new information is there to be read,
one needs to update one's data ....
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] reward ...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:20:36 -0700

> you act surprised, we have been offering rewards for criminals since the
> beginnings of this nation. Bounties were offered for our founding fathers
> by the brits, bounties brought in many in the old west, and your local post
> office has a stack of wanted posters for your perusal.

Indeed. Only one vast difference. Those were
for people *here* in the U.S. .... and it didn't
cheat poor people out of benefits with one side
of its mouth while touting how great it is with
the other ....
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:41:03 -0700
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [Homestead] Alker mixes, Dr. Bilge Isik

Dr. Bilge Isik is like a will o' the wisp---easy to find in 1997, and a
lot more data than here. I found him again several years ago, but his
website disappeared again.

http://atlas.cc.itu.edu.tr/~isikb/Tech1.htm

*ADOBE CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY*
February 14, 1997
Southern California Institute of Architecture
BILGE IŞIK, Ph.D...,
Assoc. Professor
Istanbul Technical University
Istanbul - TURKIYE

*OUTLINE*

* *Purpose*
* *The Soil*
* *Proportionning of Gypsum + Lime Adobe (ALKER)*
* *Properties of ALKER*
* *Workability*
* *Curing*
* *Construction*
* *Labor*

*Purpose
*Earthen construction is vulnerable to moisture and can be easily
damaged by earthquake. However, indoor quality in earthen construction
is very healthy. It provides protection against hot and cold weather
conditions, in view of its high thermal capacity and insulating values.
Because of these advantages, earthen construction technology is subject
to research in both in the industrialized and unindustrialized countries.

In this research, gypsum and lime are mixed to the soil to promote the
properties of the material. The gypsum stabilized soil sets in a short
time, which makes the production time shorter and the curing
unnecessary. It also makes the production period independent from the
rainy days. The material is porous, thereby increases the insulting value.

The mechanized construction technology for the gypsum stabilized earthen
construction aims to improve the local construction material for
mass-housing. It will also contribute to preserve the natural sources
and save funds for the country.

*The Soil
To obtain required strength and durability*
*Traditional Earthen Construction * *ALKER construction*
preprocessing preprocessing is not necessary
grinding
____________

sieving
____________

setting the soil aside
____________

30% clay 10% clay

*Proportion of ALKER*(Gypsum + Lime Adobe)

*Ingredient * *% by Weight * *Practical Measures *
*Soil* 100 2 full wheel barrow
*Gypsum* 10 4 shovel full
*Lime* 2 1 shovel full
*Water* 18-20 1 bucket full

*General Properties*

* improves the water absorption property
* improves the mechanical properties
* improvers the heat insulation
* low shrinkage
* clean surface
* short setting
* short construction time

*Physical Properties*

Unit weight 1.6-1.7 kg/lt
Shrinkage 1.0-1.5%
Compressive strength 2.0-4.0 N/mm2
Shear strength 0.9-1.3 N/mm2
Water absorbtion very low
Long term water exposure
(except direct rainfall) no erosion
Heat transfer value l 0.4-0.5 kcal/mhC
Specific calorific 1.0 kJ/kgK

*Workability*

*Water Content * *Workability*
18-29% rammed earth
20-22% adobe blocks
24% and more segregation

*Curing
*To obtain required strength and durability
*Traditional earth *
*construction * *ALKER construction*
15-21 days strengthing 20 min. strengthing
curing area no curing area
water sprinkling no water sprinkling
rain protection no rain protection

*Construction*

* The gypsum stabilization enables a shorter construction time
* The external walls are 45cm tick, this provides thermal property
* The load bearing internal walls are 30cm
* Wall oppennings are 25%
* Foundations and tie beams are reinforced concrete

*Labor
ALKER technique decreases a number of processes*

* 4 laborers can erect 2.5-4.5 m3 of walls/day
* 100 m2 house has approximately 45 m3 walls, therefor, 4 laborers
can complete a hose in 10 days

*Production Method of Gypsum Adobe (ALKER)
_Material :_*

*Earth:___________*100 kg__________100%
without humus
clay (appr. %10) + silt + sand + grvel (7 cm)
*Water:*____________20 kg__________20%
*Gypsum:*___________10 kg__________10%
*Lime:*______________2 kg___________2%

*_Mixing :_* mechanical mixer (or shovel)

*_Process :_*
mixer + earth + 2 kg water 2 minutes mechanical mixing
barrow + water 18 kg + lime 2 kg + gypsum 10 kg 2 minutes hand mixing
pour the barrow full of mixture into the mixer
(water 18 kg + lime 2 kg + gypsum 10 kg) 3 minutes mixing
pour the mixture to the wheel borrow; ramm it into the wall form in no
longer than 15 minutes

Please inform Bilge ISIK <mailto:isikb AT itu.edu.tr>about the results with
your full address and a short CV.
Your interest is appreciated.