homestead - [Homestead] School victims, Putin response

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] School victims, Putin response
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:40:58 -0700

There are only two ways to really stop guerrillas, the Genghis Khan and Stalin quick way or for the desperate a thirty-year properly funded program of education coupled with a thirty-year properly funded program of bringing them as employees and entrepreneurs into the greater economy. People making a good living don't deviate from it to become guerrillas.

Will these programs be installed--in a handful of small bootstraps nations yes, in all others, hell no. There is no political will to do it in the U.S.. In the past I can only remember it being done by Chiang Kai Shek in Taiwan.

I doubt Putin has the will to follow the Stalin route in wiping out the civilian populace of Chechnya which provides cover, weapons and money to guerrillas, and I he isn't going to be in power long enough to go the bootstrap education and poor moneymaking routine in Russia, much less in any dissident province.

<http://ap.tbo.com>

Sep 4, 2004

Putin Promises Tougher Response to Terrorism, Admitting Past Weakness

The Associated Press

MOSCOW (AP) - Russian President Vladimir Putin promised a tougher response to terrorism Saturday, saying in a surprising admission of weakness that the Soviet Union's collapse had left the country unable to react to attacks and warning, "Weak people are beaten."

The former KGB spy said in a televised address to the nation that terrorists are waging an "all-out war" against Russia.

Earlier, Putin sealed off the borders of North Ossetia, the republic where more than 300 people were killed in a hostage-taking at a school that turned violent Friday. The hostage-taking was carried out by militants seeking independence for the war-torn republic of Chechnya.

Putin blamed police corruption and porous borders for the failure to stop attacks and called for mobilizing the nation before what he called the "common danger" of terrorism.

"In general, we need to admit that we did not show an understanding of the complexities and dangers of the processes occurring in our own country and in the world," he said in a grim televised address to the nation.

He said that since the collapse of the Soviet Union, the nation was weakened and unable to respond effectively to terrorism.

"In any case, we couldn't adequately react ... We showed weakness, and weak people are beaten," he said.

He noted in particular that Russia's borders had become porous and "unprotected from either West or East," and that corruption had pervaded the law enforcement agencies.

Putin promised to strengthen Russia's territorial integrity, create a more effective crisis management system, and overhaul the law enforcement organs. He said reforms would be in accordance with the nation's constitution.